Frequently Asked Questions
What configurations do you offer?
- We offer three different configurations: Standard 3 Wall, Glass Side Wall and Front Wall designs.
What is the strainer made of?
- The Strainer is made of 304 Stainless Steel. It is very durable, easy to remove for cleaning, and will not rust.
What sizes do you make?
- We can make shower floors up to 110″ x 60″.
Is the surface slippery when wet?
- The surface is made from Dupont Corian and has a gradual 2% slope from the rear to the front. The material has passed the Coefficient of Friction test under ASTM C1028 for wet conditions. It has also been tested by Home Innovation Research Labs, previously NAHB, ans passed the friction slip test required by ASTM f462 for shower floors. Routine cleaning with a common household cleaner is necessary to remove soap residue.
How do I order a base?
- At the bottom of each of the configuration description pages is a quote form. Enter in your “rough” measurements and we will start the quote process. You can also email our team at Info@EncompassShowers.com or fax us at 303-347-0992.
Where is the drain opening located on the linear drain channel and can it be moved?
- The drain output is located exactly in the center of the front linear drain channel. The output can be moved to the right or left of center to avoid an obstacle, BUT we need to be notified at the time of ordering.
Do I have to move the drain?
- It depends upon the location of the old drain, P-Trap, and new drain locations. Often the current drain, P-Trap will need to be moved to the front linear drain opening. Our installation instructions will guide the installer step-by-step through the drain move.
How do I connect the drain to the base?
- Ideally, if you have access to the drain on the underside use our “No Hub” connector that we supply with each base. If you do not have underside access, our Installation Guidelines will show you how to connect during the drain move still using our “No Hub” connector.
What backer board thickness is used between the shower base and the 2 x 4 studs?
- The Encompass Shower Base has 1/2″ thick vertical sides. Backer board material should also be 1/2″ thick to flush out the top of the base. Some “shimming may be necessary. Silicone caulk the top to seal it.
How much water can the Linear Drain handle?
- The output drain is within industry standards and can handle up to 5 gallons of water per minute with either one or two shower heads.
Do I need a floor backer board under the base?
- The base is designed to set directly on a solid level sub floor. A backer board is only necessary if the existing tile or future tile thickness is more than 7/8″.
Does the shower base flush out with standard floor tile?
- Yes, the Encompass Shower Base is designed to flush out with either 1/4″ or 1/2″ backer boards. With your selection of backer board thickness and tile thickness, you can easily achieve a 3/4″ to 7/8″ finished floor top. There is a 3/16″ smooth radius “bump” on the front edge designed to retain water from a glass door. The bump meets ADA wheelchair accessibility guidelines.
Can I keep my existing floor tile?
- Basically, yes. Caution needs to be taken if a row of tiles need to be removed during installation. The base can be measured to meet the existing tile line.
How do I install a base?
- We provide a step-by-step installation guide for Contractors or Homeowners at the time of delivery. We are also just a phone call away for a specific question.